Winter is upon us, but that doesn’t mean you should stop caring for your luxury pool. In fact, caring for your pool now can actually make for an easier, cleaner and more successful pool opening in the late spring and summer months. Take a look at these tips for luxury pool maintenance this season so that you can enjoy your pool by the time spring rolls around.
- Algae preventative. Before closing the pool, add an algae preventative also sometimes known as “algaecide”. Shut down the circulation system after pumping this through for about 24 hours. The algaecide should stay in the system for about 90 days, and provide protection from algae growing during the winter months.
- Chlorine. Along with algaecide, be sure to also put a little chlorine in the pool right before closing. When spring arrives and the water is no longer frozen, add liquid chlorine to the pool to begin the cleaning process.
- Prevent Freezing. Be sure to drain your pool heater, pump, and filter so that they don’t freeze in the winter. If not drained, these pipes could crack and cause even bigger problems.
- Clean the Pool Cover. It’s important to keep the pool cover free of debris, such as leaves and sticks during the fall and winter months. An air cover in the center of the pool can help keep it clean. It protects the pool from ice damage, and disperses water and debris to the sides of the pool. You can either use a broom to sweep off the debris, or simply hose it off every once in a while to prevent damage to the cover.
- Enzyme Chemicals. These can be applied to your pool even over the mesh cover. They help to break down non-living contaminants such as pollen or droppings, and allow for a smoother opening process in the spring.
- Open Early. Plan to open your pool earlier in the spring, when the water is still cold. Although you won’t be swimming in it, you can avoid further growth of algae and other contaminants when the water begins to warm.
By keeping up with luxury pool maintenance in the off-season, it makes for a better luxury pool during the in-season. If you’d rather hire a professional to do the job for you, contact Elite Pools.
At Elite Pools, we offer over 50 years of experience when performing pool maintenance. Our pools are built and installed to last, so our customers can enjoy their luxury pool instead of worrying about repairs and replacements.
To discuss luxury pool installation options, or to ask any questions you may have regarding installation or maintenance, call Elite Pools today at 1-800-277-0254, or visit our contact page. We also offer luxury pool maintenance and installation in the Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Washington D.C. areas.