Six steps that are vital for pool safety:
* Don’t swim alone. It’s important to have someone there to help if pool users fall, slip, or have a heart attack.
* Take a cell phone or cordless phone to the pool, and keep it close by.
* If at all possible, be sure that someone trained in lifesaving and CPR is nearby.
* Make it clear to parents that they are responsible for watching their own children.
* Install an alarm in the house that sounds an alert when anyone goes near the pool.
* Before leaving and locking the gate, double-check the pool area. There may be children you didn’t see at first glance, who must not be left alone near the pool.